I am attempting something crazy this summer – writing 50 songs in 90 days, from July 4th to October 1st. There are a few hundred other crazy songwriters out there who I will have the honor of accompanying on this journey. You can view my profile here, but I haven’t recorded anything yet on account of the fact that I have lent out some of my best recording gear right now >.< Even though they’re just demos, I want to create good-quality recordings on my new setup in my new apartment. I am looking forward to collaborations and challenging myself and developing my “skills” as a writer.
Anyway, you can participate in American Songwriter’s “July/August 2012 On My Deathbed Contest.” All you have to do is submit the ten albums that you couldn’t live or die without and you’ll be entered to win a fancy Martin Guitar.
Please don’t judge me. This is what I submitted, reasons why, and also a Spotify playlist:
- Simon & Garfunkel – Simon and Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits – This was my homework soundtrack for 9 years. I know every note.
- Bob Dylan – John Wesley Harding – Listen to this on vinyl.
- The Beatles – Revolver – These two albums always play back to back for me. They revolutionized music.
- The Beatles – Rubber Soul – Yep.
- Switchfoot – Vice Verses – Newest on the list, but watching Switchfoot evolve throughout my life has been enjoyable. They have so much energy and talent and actual meaning behind every song.
- Jon Foreman – Limbs and Branches – Listen to this. Simplicity translates best. I wish I could write and record like this.
- Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea – Perfection.
- Brand New – Deja Entendu – I could listen to this on repeat for weeks. Actually, I’ve done that.
- Third Eye Blind – Third Eye Blind – Angsty teenage anthems.
- The Decemberists – The Crane Wife – So many perfect songs on here, incredible writing.
Recent Honey Badger photos: